The Fostoria Incandescent Lamp Company was founded in 1897, by Henry A. Tremaine and his brother-in-law John B. Crouse. They were later joined by his son John R. Crouse. The so-called Cromaines (CROuse and treMAINE) were prolific businessmen, founding or controlling some twenty companies in total. Their foray into the lighting industry commenced with their 1885 foundation of the Cleveland Carbon Company, the first of several operations for the manufacture of carbon electrodes for arc lamps. A similar operation, the Crouse-Tremaine Carbon Company was established at Fostoria in 1891.
Due to their extensive business connections in Ohio they recognised the booming demand for incandescent lamps, and in 1897 when demand outstripped the capacity of even the great General Electric, they were encouraged to set up their own operations. Meanwhile the Libbey Glass Company at the nearby city of Toledo had set up state of the art facilities for the blowing of glass bulbs, far more competitively than the giant Corning Glass Company. Crouse and Tremaine recognised that access to the new low-cost Libbey bulbs would give them a cost advantage, and in 1897 they established the Fostoria Incandescent Lamp Company. In 1898 the company was joined by Burton G. Tremaine, a particularly forward-thinking insurance businessman from Cleveland, and the four men together were later to play a major role in the transformation of the American incandescent lamp business.
In 1899 the company its established its own glassmaking operations, producing bulbs as well as tubing and rod at the Fostoria Bulb & Bottle Company. Operations were established at a second site in Fostoria, known as the Lower Factory (and the original lamp plant becoming known as the Upper Factory).
In 1901, B.G. Tremaine met with Franklin S. Terry of the Sunbeam Incandescent Lamp Company
Production ended in 1914, but the Fostoria brand name continued in use for many years longer.
||Montgomery St (East Douglas Av.), Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
||Holman St (East Brackenridge St.), Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
||12th September 1924
||Carbon Filament lamps
||Carbon Filament lamps, Drawn Wire Tungsten lamps