Updated 06-II-2016

Cleveland Wire Plant

Introduction
Following Dr. Coolidge's 1909 invention of the drawn tungsten wire process at GE's Schenectady Laboratories, in 1913 the Cleveland Wire Works was established to take over its production on an industrial scale. The plant's activities commenced with the extraction of tungsten metal from the oxide, its purification, sintering into bars, followed by swaging and drawing into wire. Because of its metallurgical similarities molybdenum wire was also produced, along with other solid refractory metal parts such as tungsten anodes for X-Ray tubes. Despite its name, the site also produced Argon gas until 1972, by when it had become more readily available and could be obtained from standard gas suppliers. The Cleveland Wire Works was established in 1913 to transform the c over the company's manufacture of drawn tungsten wire. Virtually no information has been found concerning the now-closed GE Cleveland Bulb Plant. It is known only that it existed in 1979, and at that time its primary activity was in the application of decorative coloured coatings to glass bulbs produced at other GE glass plants. It had a second product line of very high technological importance - Lucalox tubing. That material is a translucent ceramic of sintered polycrystalline alumina, which was developed by GE's Schenectady research laboratories in the 1960s and which is employed as the arc tube material for the high pressure sodium lamp. Ultimately the production of Lucalox ceramics was transferred to GE's Willougby Quartz Plant, and it seems likely that the Cleveland Bulb Plant may have been closed on that occasion.

Address Unknown
Location Unknown
Opened pre-1979.
Closed post-1979.
Products Lucalox Ceramics, Application of decorative coloured coatings to glass bulbs.


References
1 A Century of Light, James A. Cox, published by The Benjamin Company / Rutgers, 1979, ISBN 0-87502-062-3, p.153.