Updated 06-II-2016

Cleveland Lamp

Very little information has been found concerning the now-closed Cleveland Lamp Works of General Electric. It is known that at the outset it produced carbon filament lamps, which indicates that it must have existed prior to approximately 1910, and that it belonged to the National Lamp Works rather than the Edison Lamp Works division of GE. It was still in existence in 1940, but had closed by 1961. Unusually, it was located directly alongside the Euclid Lamp Plant but appears to have been operated completely independently from that facility. During the author's visit to Euclid Lamp Plant in 2007 the buildings of the Cleveland Lamp Works were not in use.


The building at 1762 East 45th Street in 2015, believed to have previously housed the Cleveland Lamp Works.

Address 1762 East 45th Street, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
Location Unknown
Opened Pre-1910
Closed Between 1940 and 1961.
Products Carbon Filament, Tungsten Filament Lamps


References
1 Stem Marks on National Lamps, The Incandescent Electric Lamp 1880-1925, E.J. Covington, NELA Press, 1998 pp.51-55.
2 GE Standardizing Notice 12-1-4, Large Lamp Works Factory Code Symbols, August 6th 1940.
3 GE Standardizing Notice 12-1-4, Lamp Plant Identification Code, May 5th 1961.
4 Report of GE Workers Membership of International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers, April 26th 1950
5 Discrimination against Negroes in the Genereal Electric Lamp Plants, Reports of 2nd Session of 82nd Congress of US Govt, 1952, p.333.