Updated 13-IV-2020

Eastern Electric Company, Boston

The Eastern Electric Company of Boston, also known as the Eastern Electric Light Company, was one of the early American incandescent lamp manufacturers. In 1909 it was taken over by the National Electric Lamp Association, which was itself controlled by General Electric and was fully absorbed into GE in 1911.

The company appears to have continued business as a member of National, and at the end of 1909 filed an annual statement with a capital value of $ 25,000, including $ 3000 of real estate, $ 4,223 of stock, and $ 15,899 cash and debts. In Covington's book its address in 1905 is listed as 168 Newbury Street in Boston, however in view of the very small proportions of that building that is believed to be only the commercial offices rather than a manufacturing location. In 1911 its executive offices were relocated to the Oliver Building on 151 Milk Street, in downtown Boston.

It is not known when the company or its factory was founded and closed down, or the location of the factory. However a US Patent cites its existence in 1900. It is possible that only the company offices were in Boston and that its factory was located elsewhere.

Address Unknown, Boston (MA), U.S.A.
Location Unknown
Opened Prior to 1900.
Closed After 1909.
Products Incandescent Lamps.

References & Bibliography
  1. The Incandescent Electric Lamp 1880-1925, E.J. Covington, NELA Press, 1998 pp.20, 33.
  2. US Patent 672184, E.W. Cushing, Photometer, The Eastern Electric Lamp Company , Boston, Filed 19th July 1900.
  3. Abstract of Certificates of Corporations, MA, for Year Ending 30th November 1910, publ. Wright & Potter Printing Co, Boston, 1911, pp.19-20 & 314.
  4. Relocation of the Eastern Electric Lamp Co. offices, Electrical World, Vol.57 p.1587, 15th June 1911.